Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Gentle Kick in the Butt

I guess it's been awhile since I've blogged, so here is the update. My eyes are great. My trainer is back from Hawaii (leaving again for Chicago - good luck!). I figured out I'm walking/jogging on the outside of my foot and that's why I have just bad shin splints. Still haven't lost much weight. Still pop free.

I want to thank Dallas for putting up with me. The other day I was whining about my shin splints and he sent me this looooooong text: "Ok I am not going to lie there is going to be pain no matter what you do when starting a program like this when you really have not done much exercise before now. Your muscles are being broken down tendons are stretching etc...so if you can work through the pain you will adjust to it and it will be easier and easier for you to exercise. However if you hive into the pain and ease off the workout your body simply falls back to the comfortable state where it has always been. If it is unbearable then we need to find a treatment for it but if it's pain that you can handle even though it's uncomfortable then I say work through it. " I love the fact that Dallas cares enough to give me the kick in the butt I needed!

I'm jogging a little more every day and I'm trying really hard to run on the inside of my foot. When I do that my shins feel a lot better. I'm still nervous for the 5k though.

4 comments:

  1. Terri - Congratulations on listening to Dallas and working through the pain. It's easy to say I hurt and just give in but most of the time it's better to keep working hard. You're doing great and I applaud the hard work I see you doing at the gym. Way to go! Janet Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing what Dallas said. It's so true, and I needed to hear that also! I love that you give it 100% in the gym, you are an excellent example for me to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing a great job running. You should get an evaluation on how you run from any of the specialty running stores. I did mine at the 26.2 running store in Provo and it was free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can hold each other up during the 5K. See ya there! Shirlee

    ReplyDelete